Thursday 27 July 2023

Stunning silk guitar bag for humidity control


My guitar humidifiers were drying out just too fast. So I took a page from my daughters' violin lessons and went looking for a silk bag of the type they'd been urged to use with their instruments.

Silk as a fabric has the property of helping keep a consistent temperature and humidity for wooden instruments. An even environment helps prevent the wood from cracking.

I found an online vendor from Spain for silk violin bags: Carmen Bruna. Find her shop on the artisan website, Etsy. Here's the link: Carmen Bruna Designs .  She also appeared to make bigger bags for cellos. So I ordered one. As we exchanged messages, I explained that it was actually for a classical guitar, so if she could cut smaller pieces and save cloth, that  would work great.

She wrote back very enthused to try it. I sent the measurements she requested. It arrived in about 3-4 weeks. International shipping was minimal for the small light parcel. The packaging with elegant. The bag fit perfectly. It was so nicely made. I couldn't have done as nice a job even if I could have found the matching piece of silk.

I have a silk violin bag. It cost about $40 from Remenyi in Toronto. It's  lovely and lined, but not colourful. I use a binder clip to keep it closed over its humidifier. That's not so elegant.

The guitar bag has a drawstring closure at the base to keep the dry air out. It also has a lace tie around the neck. It fits my guitar like a glove.

I had looked for a Canadian maker first, then North American. But this international experience was wonderful, and personal, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Does it work - oh yes. In the time frame of about a week in our late spring, I had topped up all my guitar humidifiers. When I took the silk off, the humidifier was still damp. Whereas  the ones for the uncovered guitars had dried out.


Carmen has many other silk patterns and colours in her shop. I highly recommend one of her bags for your treasured wooden stringed instruments.




No comments:

Post a Comment